HKU Neuroscience Academy for the Talented (Non-Residential Programme)
Programme Date and Time: July 29 - August 2, 2024 (9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
Target: S2-5 students / Year 9-12 / 2025-28 September University Intake
HK$5,500* (Academy member)
Delivery Mode of Programme: Face-to-face
Programme Code: ACTNEURO2024
This Fundamentals of Neuroscience course is designed to introduce high-school students to the structure and function of the nervous system. During the course, students will explore the neural bases of behaviour at the cellular and systems levels. Students will examine how neuroscientists approach the study of the nervous system while covering basic topics in neurobiology, neuroanatomy and physiological psychology. Engaging lectures, laboratories and group discussions will be used to deliver the course content.
- Explain the functions of the major components of the central and peripheral nervous system.
- Demonstrate how the laws of chemistry and physics apply to mechanisms of neural activity.
- Explain mechanisms of animal and human neural function at multiple scales, from molecules and molecular interactions to interactions of neural circuits and brain pathways.
- Explain how information is encoded by neurons and neural circuits (information encoding, storage and recall).
- Describe how the brain generates complex cognitive functions including communication, emotions, sleep and cognition.
- Explain modern views of how the nervous system changes with experience, and how it is disrupted by stress, injury and disease.
- Understand brain diseases and mental illnesses.
Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Social Sciences
*It is our firm belief that no student should be denied admission due to financial difficulties. Grant is available for students who can provide supporting documents issued by the Student Finance Office for receiving a full grant of Student Textbook Assistance Scheme or documents from the Social Welfare Department for obtaining CSSA. To apply, please select the specific programme on the system accordingly.
Disclaimer: Programme contents and formats are subject to change. We will continue to work closely with professors to refine our programme and ensure that students will have a safe and enjoyable time. Programme fees and application fees are non-refundable.